March 11, 2010 - Sven Huisman
VMware View upcoming features
Today I joined the VMware communities podcast. The topic of this podcast was VMware View and John Dodge of VMware was on the phone. I’ve heard some interesting things today, which I think are worth sharing.
- Win7 support? In the next release.
- Next minor or next major release? Next release will be a major release.
- Brand new UI for the View manager, more of an application but still a browser application.
- When RTO software integration? RTO profiles integration in next release. Other RTO products will be released as seperate products.
- VMware has been doing a lot of testing with the workload simulator (RAWC, available for VMware partners). Also IOPS testing. Results will be published in a new reference architecture whitepaper.
- View portal will be replaced -> no more logon, only VMware View Client software download page.
- Linux guests: not on roadmap yet.
- When first release on CVP (Client Virtualization Platform)? CVP has gotten a lower priority because, according to VMware, the community wants the offline desktop (a client hosted desktop). There is less demand for the CVP. A lot of the people in the podcast disagreed.
- Current planning of Offline desktop: production ready in next release.
Just to get some numbers on “offline VDI” and to see if VMware is right not to give CVP a higher priority, here is a quick poll: