Today Citrix announced XenApp 6, which will be available starting March 24th. XenApp6 will only be available on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only). Alongside XenApp 6, Citrix will also make available XenApp 5 Feature Pack 3 for Windows Server 2003 and 2008.
XenApp 6 offers major new enhancements that simplify computing for IT, including easier central management, enhanced enterprise scalability and seamless integration with Microsoft technologies like App-V and Windows Server 2008 R2. XenApp 6 also improves productivity for end users with extensive new high-definition HDX™ technology enhancements and simplified self-service access to apps from any device, including PCs, Macs, laptops and smart phones.
Read the entire XenApp 6 announcement.
Reasons to upgrade (IMHO):
- AppCenter simplifies application management with a single, more intuitive console.
- HDX RealTime collaboration enables real-time audio and video collaboration using Microsoft Office Communicator and VoIP softphones.
- HDX Plug-n-Play for Windows portable USB devices ensures a seamless user experience with expanded USB support for POS interfaces, webcams, microphones, scanners and more.
- App-V integration enables IT to manage and deliver both Citrix and Microsoft virtual applications on demand from a single point with Microsoft App-V.
Reasons NOT to upgrade:
- Windows 2008 R2 = x64 only! You might have (a) business critical application(s) which won’t work on a 64-bit OS.