June 23, 2009 - Sven Huisman
VMware ThinApp 4.0.3 released
Last week, VMware released a minor update for VMware ThinApp: 4.0.3. Here are the release notes:
The 4.0.3 release adds the ObjectTypes parameter to the Package.ini file. You can use this parameter to specify a list of virtual COM objects that are visible to other applications in the physical environment.
The 4.0.3 release changed the name of the VMware ThinApp User’s Manual to ThinApp User’s Guide.
ThinApp 4.0.3 is also a maintenance bug fix release.
ThinApp 4.0.3 addresses issues that affect the following applications:
- Adobe Reader 9
- Adobe Reader 8 Update component on Windows Vista
- Smartplant License Manager
- Microsoft Office Groove
- Windows Live Messenger
- AutoCAD 2000
- eVIT by LUURENS
- VMware vSphere Client
- Internet Explorer 7
- Lotus Notes
- SigmaPlot 11.0
- QuickTime Control Panel
This release resolves these issues:
- COM object creation fails between primary desktop and non-interactive virtual services that affect the Windows Installer service.
- The tlink.exe build utility of ThinApp crashes when multiple language icons exist in an executable file.
- The %SYSTEMSYTEM%\SPOOL folder causes the capture of printer spool files.
This might cause printing errors in a Microsoft Office package.
- Thinapp prevents a captured Lotus Notes package from starting captured Microsoft Office applications to open attachments.
- A captured Internet Explorer 7 package cannot detect external Active Directory policies.
- Acrobat Reader 9 causes 100 percent utilization.
- ThinApp is unable to pass captured batch file shortcut targets that require command-line arguments.
- Log Monitor generates errors when a sandbox on the network is locked by another computer.
The following known issues affect this release:
- ThinApp installation errors might occur with system login names that contain Japanese characters.
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot create a PDF file from a Word or Excel document.
- The Application Sync utility fails when the AppSyncURL parameter in the Package.ini file contains Japanese characters.
You can only use ASCII characters.
- Microsoft Word 2003 hangs for 10 seconds when you open and close the Microsoft Equation Editor.
The Equation Editor feature creates a COM object. When you close the Equation Editor, the Winword.exe utility tries to free the object after 10 seconds if the object is not reopened. When the object is free, the Equation Editor crashes.
To address this issue, deselect the Equation Editor as an option during the Microsoft Office 2003 installation.
- Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 do not work on Vista.
- Windows and Google Search do not work with ThinApp-captured Outlook.
- Using Microsoft Office 2003 Excel files in Office 2007 compatibility mode causes an error.
- For backward compatibility reasons, Thinstall appears in the user profile and as the folder in which the sandbox is created.
- Log Monitor might generate multiple trace files for an application.
- Packaging an application on hard drives with a very small amount of free space can cause issues during the packaging process.