October 1, 2008 - Matthijs Haverink
Hyper-V Server 2008 Released: Microsoft’s attempt for a bare metal hypervisor
Microsoft is aiming at the following use cases:
- Test and Development
- Basic Server Consolidation
- Branch Office Consolidation
- Hosted Desktop Virtualization (VDI)
System Requirements and Limitations
- 64-bit CPU’s with AMD-V or Intel Virtualization Technology
- Maximum of 32 Gigs of memory
- Maximum of 128 Guests
- Supports same list of Guest OSes as Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954958) -> All Windows stuff + SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
- It supports DAS, NAS, iSCSI, Fiber Channel and the usual local storage.
It can be managed by an MMC that runs only on Vista SP1 and Server 2008 machines or using the System Center Virtual Machine Manager product.
Check out the Hyper-V Server 2008 product page here, and if you’re really planning on downloading and installing, don’t miss the Hyper-V Server 2008 Technical Resources page here.