September 17, 2008 - Sven Huisman
VMWorld 2008 – Tech preview: vCenter Orchestrator
vCenter Orchestrator is part of the management vServices. This will be available (suprise suprise) next year.
What you can do with this is drag-and-drop development of customized workflows to automate operational task.
Examples of what you can do with this are:
– automate builds of ESX and VMs
– Provisioning storage and network related devices relating to virtual infrastructure
Managing applications and operating systems
– automating appl installation and basic configuration
maintenance and a bit of DR
– creating or moving VMs during maintenance
– pre-provisioning of VMs
Backup and decommissioning
– managing archives, backups, and snapshots of VMs
I recorded the demo that was shown. It was actually pretty funny, because what he created was a workflow to do a quick migration of a virtual machine. So what Microsoft is doing with Hyper-V now, an administrator can create an automated workflow with Orchestrator in less then 5 minutes.